Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Coyotes, Bobcats, & Ashmonsters, Oh My! - Happy Holidays

Well I've been here for just under four weeks, and tomorrow morning I will be heading back home for the holidays to spend time with my family and close friends. The first half of my stay has absolutely flown by, but I guess that's to be expected working on a farm all day. Before the homestead I had never done any type of construction (aside from foxholes), and in less than three weeks (accounting for rain) we've built a rocket mass heater and nearly an entire frame for a large survival shelter. The early sunset in these winter months really stagnates progress each day, but despite this the two of us have been knocking these projects out piece by piece, step by step, until we can't see or move any more. The always evolving design of the structure doesn't help, taking time to make sure our one-of-a-kind home doesn't come custom crumbling in on itself. The size is what impresses me most of all; I thought I would be living in a space no bigger than a walk in closet (yes, I once lived in a walk in closet) yet the slanted floor has been a blessed curse, giving passengers plenty of room to maneuver.

During the length of my stay I've been soaking up information from Scott on all sorts of survival techniques, do's, don'ts, warnings, tips, tricks, and meditative advice. I will transition from a backpack and minimal support from Scott (i.e. food, companionship) to an all out four letter word situation, with nothing but one, maybe two tools and Ashmonster to keep me alive. Assurances have been made coyotes and bobcats won't like me very much (not such a great audience), and I'll be in walkie range the entire time in case of an emergency. Should be fun.

Scott has been an absolutely amazing host, being very flexible and incredibly hospitable to me. I only wish these pictures and video could give you all an idea of what life is like at the institute, but as with any, justice isn't given. It's been a pleasure to be a part of the farm and help build it up for the short time I'm here, and I am eager as well as dreading the challenging part of my stay. A survival video "debris hut diary" series may even be in order. All that is to come, for now though, I'm relaxing and enjoying my last night on the farm. I'll say goodnight to the blog until 2014, refreshed and ready to go. Until then, check out this brief progress update.

raw

50%?


Happy Holidays with love,
Youssef

No comments:

Post a Comment