Saturday, December 7, 2013

Four trees, three tools, two hours, one goal.

      So the frankenstove is nearly complete, and the green house is set to be mighty warm all winter burning nothing but wood. Today though, we began construction of a small house for me to sleep in for the remainder of my stay. The guest room is nice, but if I'm going to make the most of my time here I've got to take full advantage of the experience.  Luckily Scott is all but willing to help me do it. After a quick trip out to the post office, we came back, fed the animals, gathered tools, and headed to the sight to get started. After a blessing of the land we picked out some trees and started cutting.

Scott hammering away with an axe.

      The goal of this structure is to build it using exclusively natural materials, with a bit of help from 550 cord to tie it all together. We could make a natural rope, but if we're to get this done in a timely fashion, we must resort to what's easily available. After two hours and with only three tools, we had four fitting sixteen foot logs to serve as our primary supports for my debris house. More is to come as we progress through this project, I just hope it's as warm as Scott says it will be come January.

Hand axe, hand saw, and folding saw with our logs

All the best
- Youssef

No comments:

Post a Comment