Sunday, December 15, 2013

Time Well Spent

So have Scott and I made good use of our time the last few days? Sort of. He has been predisposed by Ashmonster, the unstoppable force, and his goat fence, the soon-to-be immovable object. She's proving to be pretty crafty in getting out of that fence, going over, under, and through any gap she thinks might be big enough. Scott is going to have the best fence in the land once this is over. She's won this round, as she has gotten out the past couple nights and while she comes around, she doesn't stay long when she knows Scott's about to put her in with the goats. Oddly, it's almost as if she knows.

As for our survival shelter, the project is progressing well. The weather and various jobs and tasks have left Scott busy, causing me to work on the house myself for most of the day, which limits speed and types of task completed. Twelve holes have been dug for our outer vertical supports, outlining the perimeter of the interior allowing me to get a very rough feel of the size. So far I'm pretty pleased and am looking forward to completion so I can begin the real portion of my stay.  Today the holes were evened out and widened, and a few more trees were sacrificed, measured, and inserted into the holes using gravel to support them and prevent dry rotting. I've also commenced the gathering of the debris. This will be most laborious, repetitive, and overall unpleasant part of construction, as well as the most high maintenance, as it will have to be kept up regularly to remain effective long term.

By the end of the day, this was the best picture I could manage from my old camera.

An earlier shot of Scott making a net from 550 paracord. It has since been completed.


We'll keep you updated on dog vs. fence '13, as well as our primitive survival shelter. With just four days until I leave for a holiday break, Scott and I will be very busy elves building a livable home over the next week. As much as I love it here, I can't wait to go home and see my family and close friends. 

Oh by the way, while I was feeding the animals a couple days ago, Scott was closing up holes in the electric fence Ashmonster may be escaping from. He inevitably was shocked and let out a scream. When he asked if I heard him, I told him he sounded just like a goat and I couldn't tell the difference. We shared a laugh, and I was glad to be on the outside of the fence.  (Scott's edit: like this but way less)


Undoubtedly,
Youssef

No comments:

Post a Comment