Monday, December 16, 2013

Dropping Logs, locking up dogs

My middle school grade english teacher and football lineman coach said that in order to be a good blocker you had to keep your feet chopping.  That explosive force off the line he called TNT.  Today I heard John Marinacci's voice several times today while pushing over trees that were caught up in branches of other trees after being fell.

Youssef and I cut several more trees to build the frame of the "long term survival shelter" for lack of a better name currently.  It is progressing quite smoothly.  The addition of a two man cross cut saw made felling the larger trees quicker, but we were still heavily dependent on the axe for everything and hand saws for the smaller processing.  Quickly determining that I tied a support too high, we negotiated the only setback and were quickly moving towards completion.

When we came back to the house from the job site, Freddie was standing at the top of the hill watching the sunset over Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock.  I took some pictures, but they didn't do justice to the sight.  The sky was so clear that we could see the mountains behind Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock.  In my recollection I have only seen it that clear twice since arriving on the land several years ago.  The red glow eclipsed by scatted puffy clouds made an excellent backdrop for a quick break.

Freddie helped make the final checks on the animals before bed.  Ash must have followed Freddie down, but when she noticed the leash in my hand she started walking up the hill.  After parking the car at the house, I started walking up the hill in search after the monster Pyrenees.  We played for a little bit then I put the leash on her and walked her back towards the goat pen.  It wasn't a few seconds before she was out again, so we patched the space between the bars of the gate with hardware cloth.  I think the score is me 0 : Ash 1321.  All I need is 1, and if she keeps immediately going for the exit she found previously, it will not be long until I get on the board.

Edit: 8:51pm Ash creeps past the kitchen window.



This post is dedicated to Sister Raymond Aloysius.

No comments:

Post a Comment