Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Breaking Away

The summary of today is the aguaponics system is cycling nicely.  Here is how we got there.

This morning I had an appointment with a local contractor and installer for West Windows, a local Martinsville, VA company that manufactures replacement windows.  The single pane glass windows that were installed in the house originally were provided by Better Builder's Supply which is still in business today.  

The appointment was two fold.  Secondly, the single pane windows are not efficient in retaining heat.  Firstly, the single pane windows have shifted since installation leaving gaps that draft cold air from the outside.  The finger sized gaps between the window and the frame makes a perfect corridor to channel the stink bugs.  With the weather fluctuating from bitterly cold to short sleeve, the stink bugs have come and gone from the house.  I can't tell you how many I have killed.  If I remember I will take a picture of the collection I have gathered in the toilet.

My stink bug elimination plan is simple.  I leave my bathroom light on and wait for a collection to gather.  A good while before I go to bed I make my first pass with the Hot Shot.  They are not killed immediately, but I make sure every one has a good coating before going 'bout my business.  Directly before turning in, I will sweep the ceiling for any stink bugs that are on their way out but have yet to fall to the floor.

While the window man was here, Youssef headed to the earth shelter.  I have not seen his progress today due to spending time in the greenhouse finalizing the placement of everything for the aguaponics system.  When we reconvened towards the end of the day, the augaponics system worked as designed.  Some final teasing and glueing tomorrow and the countdown to fish will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment