Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Watching glue dry

This morning the success of the aquaponics system overnight was apparent.  The murky water in the tank yesterday now looks like a crystal clear stream.  I plan on using a coffee filter to further remove particulate before it goes back into the tank during this initial cycling period.  The water was extremely cold due to lack of heat in the greenhouse currently.

Youssef and I tore apart the system after draining the sump tanks.  We cemented the pvc pipes and fittings together and reinstalled them back into the system.  When condensed into two sentences it does not really do justice to the amount of time we put into it; a majority of which was watching the glue dry.

We picked up some ammonia from the store to begin the process of creating bacteria in the media bed.  Other ways of starting the system include peeing into the tank, or using small goldfish to start the system with the expectation that they will die shortly.  I can see the initial shock when I tell people I peed in it, and I am just trying to avoid the objections.


No comments:

Post a Comment