Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The frame is complete

After checking on the chicken's water project from yesterday to positive results as well as the other daily necessities, Youssef and I continued work on the longer term survival shelter completing the frame and beginning to add lattice to the outside that will eventually support the debris pile.

The final ring added.

Saplings laced to further support the debris covering.  I am most proud of the even spacing on the left hand side of the picture.  Square lashings made from excess rope from the frame lashings hold the vertical basket weave in place.

I saw this really awesome hawk earlier so I followed it down to the pond because it reminded me that I wanted to see what was going on down there water wise.  It was right before sunset.  The ground was still wet so the truck slid down the hill with the ABS doing nothing except making me nervous.  After pumping the breaks it slid to a stop.  There was a second that I though I was going into the pond.  I am waiting until the ground freezes a little bit more.  I just got back from closing up the chickens and the dirt there was solid, so I will go drive my truck out in a minute.

8:02pm edit:  The truck drove out easily on the now frozen ground.  The tire tracks had a bunch of look like chicken layer crumble but dirt in the floor of the track.  I think it was where the ABS was going off.  My tracks from earlier were an inch into the ground where now Youssef and I could walk easily on the surface of the concrete like dirt.

As a note, if you are viewing this blog without the aid of Google's hover-zoom through the Chrome browser or something similar, you are doing yourself a disservice having to follow the links to make the small thumbnails something visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment