Thursday, September 12, 2013

Buppert

I want to tell you about Buppert.  He is the Boer goat stud who resides on the hill to the southwest of the cabin.  I talked a little bit about how he got his name, but I didn't talk about how he got his yellow beard.

Buppert typically doesn't want anything to do with his ladies.  For the longest time Buppert would jump the fence, stroll around eating some crape myrtles and busting up pear trees with his horns.  Apparently they like the soft bark because it feels good.

The only time Buppert has anything to do with his girls is when they are in heat.  He checks this through ECHO ANNOUNCER VOICE"the testing of the urine".  As the girl pees, Buppert sticks his nose in the stream.  He then opens his mouth and with a quiver separates his lips.  His eyes are closed at this point.  As expected the stream drips down his beard.  Like a habitual smoker, Buppert's once brown goat tee is stained yellow.

On a hot day Buppert would come chill under the porch.  Sometimes he would get caught outside the fence by a rainstorm and couldn't make it back to his little building in the field in time.  He would post up with the dog under the porch.  I went away for a week or so and had a friend watch the place for me.  They apparently didn't watch it too hard because all of the goats got out.  They had enough time to make it up the driveway to the neighbors house where they would play with the kids and drink water from the baby pool before they were herded back down the road at night time.  I will see about getting pictures of that.

I let "Bupe" into the house one time.  He walked around the kitchen and the den.  He seemed to approve.  I was worried that he would poop and I didn't want that to happen so he went back outside.  Bupe is the man.

Mending the fence around the goat pasture took way too long.  Every day "Bupe" was out in the AM, home in the PM.  Several hundred T posts later, new clips, electric top line, and a good stretching Buppert hasn't come to visit.  I can tell he is resentful sometimes.  I think he enjoyed his time to himself away from his girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment