Sunday, September 15, 2013

Holz Hausen - day 1

The idea of building one of these has been a little seed in the back of my mind since I first saw one.  Recently I stumbled into some more.  They are incredibly beautiful.  It is time to make one.

I spent the morning gathering notes on what to do.  I still don't know where to put it, but I have a couple ideas.  In writing that sentence, now I know.
Once a mighty oak, this tree fell down not to long ago.

The first load.

The processing station out back

This is the bottom ring on the Holz Hausen.  Supposedly using this band to slant the wood inward will give it stability over time.

It was well before this that I accepted that I have know idea what I'm doing.

With a new blade, the pace quickened.  It was like Hylander, but with trees.

I'm all done for today and a cedar stack emerges.  Structural confidence has grown slightly.  I'm still trying to imagine it taller

I came across this really smart product today.  I have chopped myself in the leg with an ax before.  It was small and didn't really hurt, but it took some time to heal.  It did allow me to see how painful one could be.  Be careful and wear safety gear.


A note on safety:  This awesome chainsaw safety video is brought to you by the 70s, but is the reason why I wear chaps; and they highlight my tractor, which is sexy.  Part 2

A contractor friend of mine and I were talking the day after the original posting.  He said it took 40 years of practice for him to cut off two of his fingers with a chainsaw.  They sewed the tips back on, but it serves as a reminder, you can never be to careful.




No comments:

Post a Comment