Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Boxing Out the Rocket Stove

Today's task was to gather all the materials in preparation for completing the rocket stove over the next two days.  This morning I called JT Wade sheet metal in Eden, NC the same place that we ventured to to find the 12 in stove pipe the other day for the heat riser.

After talking about what I was trying to achieve we had a design in hand.  Youseff and myself provided morale support and some light lifting.  It was definitely a blessing for if (I remember correctly) Jeff and the owner, Tamridge, to allow us to hang out and watch them use the machinery.  We were asked to some hot dogs at "Big Mike's Grill," so we did not refuse.  Especially because I was eyeing the place on the way in previously.

Youseff and I came back home and unloaded panels we had made, and jumped back in the car.  This morning I had spoken with the stone yard and I wanted to make it there before it closed for the holiday.  We got that rock, now my truck is a squat.  I think it is number 78 gravel which is approximately the same as pea gravel.  When we succeed, this will be revolutionary.

The side panels
Metal corner panels and hole for ash clean out.

With the sun fading fast I strung up the panels from the shop rafters, while Youssef started applying the high temperature paint picked up from Lowe's earlier.  The light faded quickly, but headlight power kept us operating for another half hour after everything was dark.  The gusty cold wind should dry them out tonight.  It chilled us to the bone during the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment