Monday, November 18, 2013

On the road again

Too much of today I was stuck in the truck driving to pick up materials that aren't available locally.  Mother Earth Hydroton is frequently used in hydroponic gardening as a planting media.  People like it because it is lightweight when compared to gravel, has a neutral ph, and holds moisture.  Usually plants are supported and nourished through the soil.  Since the nutrients, usually found in the dirt, are provided through circulating fish waste, support comes from the expanded clay pellets.  The media also provides surface area that houses bacteria that break down the fish waste.

I was really hoping that the store had a forklift, but as I got closer and closer something in my gut told me that I was going to be the forklift.  The 30 bags filled up the bed of my truck, and it is still squatting currently.  The lady at the store didn't help me, but she gave me a bottle of water 20 bags in which was appreciated.

It turned into a much longer trip than originally anticipated, but the good news is that by then end of tomorrow roughly 85% of the aguaponics project will be completed with only really two or three steps further to go.

Tomorrow will be a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment