Thursday, November 14, 2013

New Four Legged Additions

Among the usual routine and some other projects at hand, today is a very special day in that some new faces came to stay.  Seven boer goats and a holstein calf were just unloaded and are already settling in nicely.  The calf came with the name Betsy.  Although that may change, I like it currently.




Betsy is a baller.  She is about eight weeks old so she is on a diet of milk replacer, grass, and cow feed.  This evening I gave Betsy her first pale of milk.  I was a little awkward holding the bucket at first.  She knew what was up and charged the bucket in my hand wanting that milk.  The bucket sloshed a bunch of milk on her head, to which I apologized, and she seemed unfazed.  

It was all fun and games until the milk was done.  Then she turned to the goats and told them to get.  As I was coming back with a bit more milk to make up for my party foul, I saw the goats fleeing like a herd of buffalo away from the calf.  She was in a full out charge, and the goats didn't want anything to do with it.  I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't expecting that.  At first, I was a little worried about the young calf and her ability do fend for herself.  Turns out she has got some mooooooves and showed she can more than handle the pastures.  She is way cool.

As I walked the farm this morning, I was pushing turkeys everywhere.  Behind the house there were a bunch.  At the pond there were a handful.  Further up the holler there were more.  Only if I had a meat slicer, I would be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment