Friday, November 8, 2013

Copper in the Freezer

The rough form for the rocket stove has been laid out.  I have more leveling to do tomorrow after pulling some trees out of the woods for a neighbor with the tractor.  I would like some more copper pipe to make a heat exchanger.  I have 30ft currently.  There are two types of copper pipe.  Type L is for water.  There is another kind that is for refrigerant.  I am using type L that will give me the ability to stack functions if I want to heat sinks or a shower near this location in the future.

A compression fitting joins a 20ft and 10ft section of type L copper pipe.  I thought about a solder fitting, however I am worried the temperatures might melt the solder.

This pipe is very flexible and is easy to mold and crimp.  If it bends to quickly or sharply a crease will be left.  The circumference of a 55 gallon drum is substantial so the risk is minimal, but I don't want to take any chances.  This stuff is not cheap, and I really only want to do this once.  I plan to fill this up with water and stick it in the freezer overnight with the ends pointed up so the water doesn't spill out.  The ice inside will absorb any shocks and leave the tube crease free as I bend it around the barrel.
Trust me there is water in there.  I filled it with the tea kettle and force air into the back until all the air was out.

I talked to the hydroponics supply store again about grow media.  They are expecting it next Friday.  That is really all I am waiting on to have the system cycling.  I want it now.

My objective for tomorrow is get the final location of the rocket stove leveled and the burn chamber built.  Depending on time I would like to start the thermal cob heat riser.  It would be nice to have the trench dug for the insulated pex pipe that carries the hot water underground to the greenhouse heat exchanger by the end of the day.  All in time.

Coyotes calling all around the house 7:47pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment