Tuesday, October 15, 2013

(Dominance, Inducement, Soil, Compliance) the stuff out of this field

The past two days have been pretty much focused on one project, cutting apart bits of topsoil.  This morning I caught Phillip coming back from running his dogs early this morning.  He mentioned that the fields were wet and it might not be a good day to plow.  I thought to myself since technically I wasn't plowing that I should be alright and went at it anyway.  Phillip was right, but I plowed through it. :)

I know I have a couple more passes to make tomorrow.  My plan is to be out of the house early to inoculate the cover crop seed picked up last week, and then get to making the final passes with the tractor.  I am going to chain harrow everything to get a really nice finish before I throw seed out and aim to get the seeds spread out late tomorrow afternoon before a final pass with the chain drag that carries the seed just under the surface of the soil.  There will be pictures. 

The hen that was setting is no longer setting.  She had something like 17 eggs under her.  Slowly I have been finding bits of shells near the boxes.  Today she wasn't on the nest, and I did not see but two eggs.  When I had the chickens in the tobacco barn, when an egg went missing, you knew it was a snake.  I checked everywhere in the coup, no snake or evidence of anything other than birds.  Phillip said they must be eating them.  I started giving them more grit several days ago, I thought it was maybe that they were not getting enough minerals, but Phillip did not think that was the case.

I still have 47 eggs in the incubator, so we will see what happens with that.  Started two days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment