Sunday, October 13, 2013

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Manure

Yesterday I didn't really sleep very much and was up early for the compost deliveries.  Since I moved here I have been looking for a good source of compost.  After many arm and leg solutions, a group of local farmers and I lucked into a really awesome situation.  Averette Equestrian Center was overflowing with bedding materials from their 40+ stalls.  With no idea how to manage it, getting rid of the excess was paramount.  Seven dump trucks like Die Hard Three delivered, some hardcore spreading, and everything is dressed and waiting for the weather to break.

One of many piles

I have awesome neighbors.  Butch runs heavy equipment and lives just around the block.  Initially he was helping bury Buppert.  He pushed one of the piles over on his way out to the spot effortlessly.  My tractor makes dents in comparison.  I have to pick it up bucket by bucket.


The disc-harrow from Tractor Supply has never really cut into the ground as deeply as it should.  When I first got it, I was told that it needed a little extra weight on the back.  The suggestion came with an experience based solution in welding angle iron to make braces in which cinder blocks could fit.  Butch came up with a much better idea today of strapping an extra railroad bridge ties to the back.  The tractor bogged down between the ridiculous weight, wet ground, and slipping the tires.  I gave it a rest and later came back to get rid of the wood overhanging the tires.

Scenic tractor shot; several passes still to be made once everything dries out a little bit.

Holtz project update: wood split to be stacked and repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment