Friday, October 18, 2013

Peas A Poppin

This morning I checked on the field after the rain the previous night.  The ground was moist, but the first thing that caught my eye was a pea that had popped out of a hole propelled by the taproot growing downward leaving a little pock mark.  I saw several others.  Many peas seemed like they did nothing.  I picked one up and the spot that was touching the ground had turned white and felt mushy like something was underneath.  When Josh and I walked into the field we scared out a bunch of crows.  They were no doubt feasting on the seeds broadcast the day before.

We talked about making a scarecrow cemented into a five gallon bucket for portability.


It looks like the chickens have stopped laying as the weather has gotten colder.  I am investigating lighting options.  A relatively local farmer who has roughly 4000 birds slaughters them before winter time because the cost of heating the extremely large coop isn't worth the eggs produced.  I stopped by the local big box store for some groceries; eggs and milk particularly.  I picked up some drinking glasses.  After looking at sets of all sorts of different designs, I saw stacked individually "Aristocrat Cooler 88 cents."  Sold.  Pulling them from the rack, I see something underneath.  "God's Simple Plan of Salvation," read the glossy folded full color pamphlet.  I don't know if the glasses look like a drinker would like them or why specifically that place was chosen, but it was definitely a good find.

By the time I got home the sun was just setting at the front of the house.  I ran inside, grabbed the camera, and went to the back field.  I really wanted a picture of the pea I had seen earlier popping up like a mushroom.  It was very dark.  The pictures taken tomorrow will improve significantly.  
These are not the peas we are looking for.

A more visible green spec starts to emerge from the seed.

The chickens in the incubator are coming along.  They are 5 days now.  The temperature seems to be perfect, and I keep adding water to the pan at the bottom as it evaporates.  It kinda smells.  I would like to move it out to the building sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment