Monday, October 7, 2013

hot rocks

When I first playing poker semi regularly at a local game, there was a man there who I will call "Profane."  He was a reasonable person until he got to drinking.

After the completion of most rounds of cards, the dealer would ask, "Is the pot right?"  Sometimes it would come out, "pot right?"  Somehow over time, Profane got it in his head the folks were saying "hot rocks."  It started off slow but by the time he stopped playing cards with us, he was saying "hot rocks" like "no whammies" on a gameshow at each and every opportunity he needed a good card.

He has stopped playing with us because I think people got tired of how drunk he was getting.  One time he stood up from the table and almost fell on a 4 year old.  If I didn't catch him he would have flattened her and gone through the huge screen tv.

Well pretty much all day, I have been thinking about "hot rocks."

This morning I went to the local quarry.  I tried to get some rocks for the sweat lodge I have been working on here.  The lady pretty much looked at me like there was no way their 8 ton bucket was going to load my truck, and she wasn't allowed to let people load it buy hand, which seemed very reasonable as the size equipment operating in the yard was massive.  She pointed me to another place for which they supply stone.  She mentioned that they have a bobcat and could probably load it easily.



I am really amazed how much rock weighs and how cheap it is.  I selected a pile of rocks that I wanted him to take from and deliver to the truck-bed.  He said the rocks weighed from 25 to 75 pounds each, but some how I don't think that is accurate after handling a few there and a few more when I got back home.  For twenty seven bucks I got approximately a ton's worth of stone and it didn't really make a dent into the truck bed.

Upon arriving back at the house after getting some milk, I continued digging out the fire pit in the lodge area.  There was still too much water in the whole from the previous days, but I made a little progress.  I will offload the stones onto the dirt berm I made around the fire pit tomorrow.



I got the fire rolling now testing one of the rocks to make sure it doesn't explode when heat is applied. Hot rocks!   It is doing well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment